Monday, January 28, 2013

Creative Corner Inspiration

When friends or family look at my art, I am often asked the question, "how did you come up with that idea?" or "how did you do that?". The answer is, most often, I just let my creative flow go.  I think about 90% of the time I sit down to create, I have no idea what I am going to create.  I just start. Some times it is a great success, sometimes I hate it and paint over it later. I really never know exactly what I will do and even if I have an idea, it often turns out very different than what my mind imagined.

I am going to try and post regularly on a project I do ~ and take you through the steps so you too can try it at home.   I'm calling it Creative Corner Inspiration.  You get an inside peek into my creative little corner of my basement ~ my hole, where I make "stuff".  Maybe you will make something too and share it with me ~ I'd love to see what it inspires you to do.

Here is a little step-by-step photo collage of what I did yesterday. (Sorry in advance for poor quality of photos.  I took them with my camera phone.) I took a 8x10 canvas and ripped vintage wallpaper, inked them and glued them down like this.  Then I took a charcoal pencil and drew a sketch.



This weekend I had been perusing some magazines and was inspired by some mixed media art that showed funky houses and another piece with a romantic looking heart.  I guess that started my inspiration for this little drawing.  After the sketch was drawn, I began filling in the scene with paint, using stencils for interest.


I continued to do layers of paint, leaving the heart mostly the original wallpapers showing through.


After I filled in and got the look I wanted, I added details and texture with burlap, old ribbon, words and metal hardware. I reinforced charcoal lines and sprayed a fixative over it to seal everything.




Here is the finished piece. Easy peasy.


I guess I was feeling like a home body this weekend.  Home IS the nicest word! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment