Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Happy Chocolate Day..I mean Valentines!

How about toasting your loved ones with an amazing Chocolate Brownie Souffle for dessert? Yum!

I did just that this past Sunday for family dinner and I thought I would share the recipe because it is easy and you can do it ahead of time.

I would like to say where exactly I got the recipe from, because I should, but I don't know. I think it may have been Southern Living, but I can't be sure.

Chocolate Brownie (Freezer)Souffle

1/4 cup butter
2 (3 ounce) dark chocolate bars (I used a combination of Ghirardelli and Valhrona because it is what I had in my pantry)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup chocolate milk
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Irish Cream Sauce:
3/4 cup French Vanilla ice cream (melted)
3 tablespoons Bailey's irish cream liqueur
1/3 cup whipping cream, whipped

1) Gather your ingredients

2) Butter bottom and sides of 8 ramekins; sprinkle with sugar. Set aside. I did more because I had 14 people for dinner.

3) Melt 1/4 cup butter and chocolate in a saucepan over med-low heat.  Add flour, stir until smooth.  Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly..  Gradually add chocolate milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.  Stir in salt and vanilla.

4)  Beat egg yolks and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until thick and pale (about 2 minutes).

5) Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot chocolate mixture into yolk mixture; beat at medium speed until blended.  Gradually add remaining hot mixture, beating until blended.  Let cool 5 minutes.

6) Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed until stiff peaks form.  Gently fold one-fourth of beaten egg white into chocolate mixture.  Gradually fold remaining egg white into chocolate mixture.

7) Carefully spoon mixture into prepared ramekins.  Cover and freeze until firm. (I did them the day before)

8) Remove souffles from freezer and let stand 30 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until tops are puffed.  Cut a slit in top of each souffle and serve immediately with Irish Cream Sauce.

Irish Cream Sauce:

Place ice cream in microwave bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds or just until melted.  Stir in Irish cream; fold in whipped cream.  Store in refrigerator.

Remove from oven, cut a slit in the top and eat up! I did two kinds of cream ~ one with Baileys and one without.

These are so easy and so, so good! Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment