Monday, September 1, 2014

Girl Gone


This often happens to me.  I love a painting when I paint it, then I never finished said painting, then I decide I don't "feel" it any more.  

That is what happened with my girl I created in Jodi Ohl's class.  I loved her ~ I could see her turning in to a princess of fire and strength....but after I left her class (which I thoroughly enjoyed) at Art Is You, I just couldn't feel it any more.  I kept her on my floor staring at me, hoping inspiration would come, but nothing like my initial fire & ice princess thoughts ever came.  

So I decided she wasn't meant to be...

I began randomly laying paint on her with patterns, fingers, stencils and sprays. I added more texture and turned the canvas every so often.


I saw a flower and started painting it out.  Then a bird.


Instead of a princess of fire and ice, she became a garden of joy! :)


 Here are some close-ups:





You can see here I allowed parts of the original background to peek through.




Hope you enjoyed this photo progression!

13 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS painting, Kirsten!!
    Love all the layers and colors and patterns and movement! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many times we love/like a piece of work, walk away from it and then come back and see something else and start to create something new from what we loved. Thank you for sharing I feel so much better knowing this also happens to famous people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I am laughing that you think I am famous! :) It happens to everyone I think ~ so glad you found it helpful!

      Delete
  3. So cool to see it develop! I love that you let the layers talk to you, guide you. Where this turned out is magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, it's so beautiful. I liked the first one with the girl (a lot) but I appreciate how much motion and energy came in the revision.... gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I do that all the time. I have many sitting on my floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! An entire tribe of lonely canvases ready for a make over! :)

      Delete
  6. Terrific! I love both versions! I've only done that once, with a painting that never really spoke to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very brave and exciting at the same time..you made the right choice.. it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to get re inspired. Love it.

    ReplyDelete